Legacy Issue Number: 19567
Source: Trisotech ( Ron Ross)
- "Partitioning" is a defined term in SBVR. It is a synonym of Segmentation.
- "Segmentation" is a category of Categorization Scheme. Segmentation has a very particular, more restrictive meaning than Categorization Scheme: "categorization scheme whose contained categories are complete (total) and disjoint with respect to the general concept that has the categorization scheme ".
- Yet the word "partitioning" is used in the definition of Categorization Scheme: "scheme for partitioning things in the extension of a given general concept into the extensions of categories of that general concept ". That could be very confusing (even though not stylized ... and shouldn't be). It potentially suggests constraints that are not meant.
Substitute the word "allocating" for "partitioning" in the definition of Categorization Scheme.
Reported: SBVR 1.1 — Fri, 1 Aug 2014 04:00 GMT
Disposition: Resolved — SBVR 1.5
Confusing Use of 'Partitioning' in the Definition of Categorization Scheme
Substitute the word "allocating" for "partitioning" in the definition of 'categorization scheme'. (see attached Word Document)
Updated: Tue, 8 Oct 2019 17:48 GMT
- SBVR-Issue-15-66 - Use of 'Partitioning' in the Definition of Categorization Scheme (2017-06-06).docx 32 kB (application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.wordprocessingml.document)
SBVR15 — SBVR Issue: Use of 'Partitioning' in the Definition of Categorization Scheme
- Key: SBVR15-66
- OMG Task Force: SBVR 1.5 RTF