Legacy Issue Number: 15031
Source: Thematix Partners LLC ( Edward Barkmeyer)
The Beta-1 CMOF files on the server (spec/BPMN/2.0/20090501/cmof.xmi <http://www.omg.org/spec/BPMN/2.0/20090501/cmof.xmi>, spec/BPMN/2.0/20090501/Infrastructure.xmi <http://www.omg.org/spec/BPMN/2.0/20090501/Infrastructure.xmi>, spec/BPMN/2.0/20090501/Semantic.xmi <http://www.omg.org/spec/BPMN/2.0/20090501/Semantic.xmi>) are invalid in several ways:
(1) The schemaLocation for the UML Infrastructure schema is an EMF URI that returns Error 404. The only elements actually used in the BPMN model are the primitive types. It is preferable to provide only the standard UML URI and assume that any CMOF implementation will have a known source for it.
(2) The modularization of the Infrastructure Package makes no sense.
The Infrastructure Package must import Core::Foundation in order to define the associations from Definitions to RootElements, Relationships, and Extensions. Otherwise those data types are undefined. And in the current model, only the association ends owned by Definitions are in the Infrastructure Package; the associations themselves and the non-navigable ends are owned by the Foundation Package.
[It is not clear what religious motive caused Infrastructure to be removed from the Core Package in the first place. It is documented as part of the Core in the specification. Definitions is a subclass of BaseElement and inheriting the identifier documentation is important.
If you really want to separate Definitions (and Imports) for some reason, then you need to split Definitions into an Infrastructure version containing only the properties that are wholly contained in the Infrastructure package and a Core version that has the properties that bind Definitions to Foundation elements, including the generalization, and then packageMerge Infrastructure into Core. But then the "reusable" thing in the Infrastructure package has neither a formal id, nor any associated text.]
(3) Foundation should import the "cmof" Package (which should really be the OMG standard reference) to define Element, for external Relationships and Extensions.
(4) Infrastructure should import the "interchange" Package that "defines" Diagram, and the "interchange" module should define the class Diagram, not the class NotInSpec. I realize that this is a fudge, but the existing nonsense causes Definitions:diagrams to be a model inconsistency when loading the XMI file into a CMOF repository.
Yes, it is difficult to get a correct CMOF file out of the EMF libraries, or any UML tool. But it is the only form on the OMG server that can be loaded into a model library for integration with other cmof:Element objects (e.g., from UML or UPDM or SysML or BMM models).
The XML schemas are worthless for this purpose. So, if you want Extension to work, fix the CMOF file.
Reported: BPMN 2.0b1 — Fri, 5 Feb 2010 05:00 GMT
Disposition: Resolved — BPMN 2.0
All machine-readable files are included in document DTC/2010-05-04, including CMOF files.
The zip file with these files is attached: 2010-05-04.zip
There are several sections under chapter 16 (chapter 15 of the final draft) that indicate the location of machine-readable files.
Introduce a new section before Section 16.2 XSD
- Section 15.2 Machine readable files
BPMN 2.0 machine readable files, including XSD, XMI and XSLT files can be found in OMG Document DTC/2010-05-04, which is a zip file containing all the files.
XSD files are found under the XSD folder of the zip file, and the main file is XSD/BPMN20.xsd.
XMI files are found under the XMI folder of the zip file, and the main file is XSD/BPMN20.cmof.
XSLT files are found under the XSLT folder of the zip file.
- Section 16.2 XSD
Remove the first two paragraphs (starting "The BPMN 2.0 XSD").
- Section 16.3 XMI
Remove the first paragraph (starting "The BPMN 2.0 XMI").
- Section 16.4 XSLT Transformation between XSD and XMI
Replace the paragraph with the following text:
- The XSLT transformation from XSD to XMI is in the file XSLT/BPMN20-ToXMI.xslt
- The XSLT transformation from XMI to XSD is in the file XSLT/BPMN20-FromXMI.xslt
- Section 15.2 Machine readable files
Updated: Fri, 6 Mar 2015 20:57 GMT
BPMN2 — BPMN CMOF File problems
- Key: BPMN2-246
- OMG Task Force: BPMN 2.0 FTF