Source: Micro Focus ( Larry Hines)
The Scope clause says "This specification defines a meta-model for representing measurement information related to any model structured information with an initial focus on software, its operation, and its design. Referred to as the Structured Metrics Meta-model (SMM), this specification is an extensible meta-model for exchanging both measures and measurement information concerning artifacts contained or expressed by structured models, such as MOF.".
This needs to be revised:
- "any model structured information" should just be "any MOF-based language".
- "with an initial focus on software, its operation, and its design": This need to be changed indeed. As here it suggests that the spec is dedicated mostly to software, which is no longer correct.
- The second paragraph of Scope (Clause 1) says "The specification does include a minimal library of software measures". Here also speaks the incorrect exclusive focus on Software measures which should be fixed.
- Both the 2nd and 3rd paragraph of Scope (Clause 1) talk about Library of measures. However, these are different Libraries. Paragraph 2 talks about the informative Library in the Appendix, whereas paragraph 3 talks about the Library concept (Class) in the meta-model. That is not clear from the text as it currently reads, and may be very confusing to the readers.
- The 5th paragraph of Scope (Clause 1) again talks about Software measures, as if these are the primary citizens of the spec.
- Paragraphs 4 and 5 of Scope (Clause 1) position the spec as fully driven by ADM, going hand-in-hand with KDM, etc. That's no longer the case. SMM's scope is much broader.
- The first paragraph after the 6 bullet points in Scope (Clause 1) talks about "static (or dynamic) code analysis and technical performance to include factors related to information utility and acceptance of the system by the organization(s) participating in an enterprise. To be objective and repeatable, such metrics need to be based on technical characteristics of the system". This suggests total software-centricity of the spec. That should be fixed per this issue. It must be broadened.
- The second paragraph after the 6 bullet points in Scope (Clause 1) is not much better. As it talks about "the evolutionary nature of system development and the predicate value of metrics with respect to “downstream” problems" as well as "model for system development". This is all exclusively software development-bound. In the context of this issue, this has to be broadened.
Reported: SMM 1.1 — Mon, 28 Mar 2016 15:31 GMT
Disposition: Resolved — SMM 1.2
Generalize scope beyond software measures
Integral revision of the Scope Clause by:
- Inclusion of non-software examples in place of some software examples.
- Reference to models outside of ADM.
- Inclusion of structured models, not just MOF or OMG models.
- Rewrite as needed.
Updated: Mon, 2 Apr 2018 18:08 GMT
SMM12 — Scope clause restricts SMM to software measures.
- Key: SMM12-137
- OMG Task Force: Structured Metrics Metamodel 1.2 RTF