Source: Thematix Partners LLC ( Elisa Kendall)
There are a number of issues with the conformance section of the specification, including, but not limited to:
(1). The following conformance point is not a complete sentence (if you ignore what's in parens): it ends “formally imports” without saying what.
1. Specification-level conformance with the RDF/OWL ontologies, which means that the subject application formally imports (i.e., through owl:imports statements in another ontology or via loading the full set of ontologies for reference in a knowledge base that supports RDF/OWL);
And the above duplicates the 2nd para labeled (1), so the duplication should be eliminated.
(2) The use of “may not” in points 2 and 3 is ambiguous since it could be taken as meaning “shall not”. “Might not” would be clearer. And it’s compounded by the fact that we say ontology-level conformance entails linked-data-conformance but not that specification-level entails ontology-level.
(3) Conformance point 3 seems pretty weak – could an application contain one LCC URL to be conformant? Does it even need to be derefenceable? Is this email conformant because I include http://www.omg.org/spec/LCC/Countries/ISO3166-1-CountryCodes/Albania ? Or does it need to be the ontology itself i.e. http://www.omg.org/spec/LCC/Countries/ISO3166-1-CountryCodes/ ?
(4) Maybe we should be saying something about applications that allow people to establish and follow links to LCC individuals, and continue to follow the links within LCC?
(5) We also need to define “subject application”: is it an application or another (set of) ontologies that are conformant? Is FIBO conformant? Also item 4 refers to “another UML model”.
Reported: LCC 1.0b1 — Mon, 21 Aug 2017 17:27 GMT
Disposition: Resolved — LCC 1.1
Update the Conformance Clause
In Clause 2, Conformance
- In the first paragraph replace “These fall into the following categories” by “These are as follows:”
- remove 2nd paragraph starting (1) which duplicates the bullet beneath labelled 1.
- in bullet 1, add the following after "formally imports": “all the LCC ontologies” and add the following at the end: “with no resulting logical inconsistencies”
- in bullet 2, replace “but may not import all of them” by “with no resulting logical inconsistencies”
- in bullet 3, replace “, but may not formally import, one or more of the LCC ontologies” by “one or more of the LCC ontologies or individuals”
- delete bullet 4
- in the last paragraph replace “In all four (4) cases, implementers” by “For any conformance point, any references to individuals must use, or provide a mapping to, the standard LCC URI, and any properties accessed or stored within the scope of LCC must use or provide a mapping to the standard LCC URI. Implementers ”
Updated: Tue, 8 Oct 2019 17:57 GMT